Friday, October 27, 2006

Noobie talking about Pixies



My brother told me that if I had not listened to Pixies, I would not have been able to understand him. Since then, I have been more aware of Pixies and suddenly realize how enormous their influence is on prominent artists. "Pixies" were mentioned everywhere but for no reason, maybe my laziness, I was not even bothered to give them a glimpse on Youtube. Actually, I did once, even downloaded a lousy super-low-relolution quicktime videoclip of theirs. But what the hell, all was a nuisance. I could not work out neither the melody nor the lyrics ----> I did not need any more musical insanity. I gave up on them.

But with time, more and more people had made attempt to convince me of Pixies magic and I sensed that the time when I was compelled to watch them would come soon.

And it came this week, when I was racking my brain to think of which song to cover for my next Talent time audition. We were not be able to make it this year due to lack of practice, coordination, creativity, inspiration, courage and affinity.We seemed lack of everything and had no choice but to start everything all over again empty-handed. BUT I don't think we were lack of X factor =D.

Back to the topic, My brother suggested "Hey" of Pixies. I was like....duh.....-_______-...brother was so ruthless but anyway, I had much time to kill, why not check out how "easy" the song is according to my brother. And I was not wrong that my brother's suggestion was one of the world biggest mistakes made this week. Reasons:

1) I don't know if it is because i am a lousy guitar noob with pathetically minimal guitar technique or the guitar riff is a bit challenging to cover up to my standard (when it comes to cover, i am a perfectionist. It bugs me everytime we cannot figure out how to play a riff and have to replace it or remove it), it takes me quite a long time to get a loose hold of the riff. I manage to play it lousily and suckily. And to reach a refined level like the original, I still have a long way to go ( I need a guitar tutor, anyone? )
2) Where the hell can I find such an impressively eccentric vocal like Black Francis? No one i know seems capable of delivering a yowling and screaming vocal with at most 1/10 of his weird charisma without which, i believe, the song is trashed.
3) Do you think teachers/JC students/Students' parents will be entertained when the word "Whore" appears more than 3 times in a song? At least, I believe we could be accepted by a number of those who mispronounce "whore" as "W-H-O-R-E"...which is sadly a lot in my school. They must have never been taught this word in primary or secondary school before. It was hilarious to scream the word at them everytime we want to correct them when they do loud-reading in English lesson . We did not mean anything offensive. We had no choice but to do it and then laugh at it later.
4) It is hard to find anyone with that taste for Pixies music. For those who do, they are happily jamming somewhere together and of course they would not accept to give noobies a little bit of their precious time and talent.Music Genius freaks! Pros go together. Noobies stick together and MOVE on. I must look for noob with the Pixies taste. Impossible!

For all these reasons above, I crossed out Pixies'"hey" in my nominated song list for upcoming school Talent Time. But it seems like the departure of "Hey" from my list means gain more than loss. I get used to certain aspect of Pixies and start admiring their quirk and weirdness. The impression of their music has never ever changed since the first time I listend to them. It is music for drunk and hangover. Nothing makes sense at all, from the vocal delivery to the cryptic lyrics. But one thing has changed. If at first, I dislike their music, now, I always wish I could stay drunk the whole day to enjoy it.

Hey: "It must be the devil between us or the whore in my head...If you go, I will surely die". I will die for the man who can say this to me


Monkey gone to heaven. There is a thin line between pure genius and nonsense. That line is Pixies' numerology in the song "If man is 5, then the devil is 6, then god is 7" (I thought brother was insane to set it as his signature but now I know it is worth).


And cheapest mtv ever made in human history "Velouria"

Of course, I could not say anything about Pixies in affirmation now because so far I only play two song of them in loop "Hey" and "Monkey gone to heaven" plus, more or less conceive how uniquely weird they are to release a 3 min videoclip of 10 second footage. Oh and Kim Deal has been listed in "My fetish for female bassists"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

gucci outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike outlet, replica watches, jordan shoes, louis vuitton, longchamp, sac longchamp, polo ralph lauren outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, longchamp outlet, prada handbags, tory burch outlet, kate spade outlet, nike roshe run, christian louboutin outlet, tiffany jewelry, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin outlet, ugg boots, michael kors, burberry, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, louboutin, chanel handbags, ugg boots, nike air max, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, louis vuitton, air max, louis vuitton, air jordan pas cher, nike free, nike free, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin pas cher, louboutin shoes, tiffany and co, longchamp outlet, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses

Unknown said...

north face outlet, p90x workout, soccer shoes, ray ban, beats by dre, birkin bag, north face outlet, nike trainers, valentino shoes, mont blanc, new balance, instyler, jimmy choo shoes, iphone cases, vans shoes, nike huarache, converse, babyliss, bottega veneta, ralph lauren, asics running shoes, vans, hollister, oakley, insanity workout, ghd, lancel, abercrombie and fitch, nfl jerseys, mcm handbags, nike air max, gucci, timberland boots, reebok shoes, soccer jerseys, hollister, ferragamo shoes, louboutin, baseball bats, hollister, chi flat iron, nike roshe, nike air max, lululemon, herve leger, longchamp, wedding dresses, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, converse outlet